Staying Fit with Psoriasis
With my psoriasis I have to be mindful of my disease and the effects it can have on me physically and mentally. The way I interact with the world plays a huge role in my psoriasis. If I indulge in certain foods too much, my psoriasis can flare up. If I allow myself to get caught up in the negativity of the secular world (i.e. politics, climate change, or disparity in our society), I flare up. I have realized that I have to be more self-aware and maintain a healthy balance within my life.
I realized that my psoriasis is like having a puppy; if I maintain bad habits, I get bad results. For example, if Fido chews up your favorite pair of Retro Jordan's (tennis shoes), you simply can't leave out the good shoes while giving him an old beat up shoe to chew on. Fido has no concept of good shoe vs. old shoe, all he knows is "ooooh, a shoe… chew!"
Over time, I was able to figure out the adverse effects associated with my psoriasis triggers through trial and error. With the help of different psoriasis communities and other sufferers, I felt encouraged to fight the good fight!
To make things simple I have a few tips that can help you to stay fit and feeling healthy with your psoriasis:
- Lotion up after showering
- Get regular exercise (if your doctor feels you are healthy enough to do so)
- Eat foods that are high in fiber, omega 3 and omega 6 oils
- Get a little sun - UVB is good source for the body to produce Vitamin D (consult your physician if you have any questions on optimal duration of sun exposure)
- DON'T scratch (I know thats easier said than done but it’s so important)
- Get familiar with coconut oil (it does everything…Google it!)
- Embrace the things that make you SMILE :-)
Any suggestions made are not intended to replace the advice of a qualified medical professional. Please consult your healthcare provider prior to making any changes to your treatment, exercise or diet routine.